1. Who is Shani Dev?
Shani Dev is a powerful deity in Hindu mythology and is considered the Lord of Justice and Karma. He is also known as the God of Planet Saturn and is believed to govern the planet’s influence on people’s lives. Shani Dev is often depicted as a dark-skinned deity riding a chariot pulled by black horses.
2. Why should we worship Shani Dev?
Worshipping Shani Dev is believed to bring relief from the malefic effects of Saturn, which can manifest in various challenges and obstacles in one’s life. By seeking his blessings, devotees aim to attain good health, prosperity, and protection from hardships. Worshiping Shani Dev also helps in purifying one’s karmic debts and promoting spiritual growth.
3. When is the auspicious day to worship Shani Dev?
Saturday, or Shaniwar in Hindi, is considered the most auspicious day to worship Shani Dev. It is believed that performing regular puja and offering prayers on Saturdays can please Shani Dev and reduce the impact of Saturn’s malefic effects. Additionally, certain specific occasions like Shani Jayanti and Shani Amavasya are deemed highly favorable for worshiping Shani Dev.
4. How should I prepare for Shani Dev puja?
To prepare for Shani Dev puja, you can follow these steps:
1. Clean the puja area: Thoroughly clean the designated area where you plan to perform the puja. Remove any clutter or dirt to create a pure and sacred space.
2. Gather necessary items: Arrange the required puja items such as a picture or idol of Shani Dev, sesame oil, mustard oil, black sesame seeds, black cloth, flowers, incense sticks, lamps, and fruits.
3. Take a bath: Take a ritualistic bath to purify yourself before commencing the puja. Wear clean and fresh clothes.
4. Set up the puja altar: Place the picture or idol of Shani Dev on a clean cloth. Light the incense sticks and lamps.
5. Offerings and prayers: Offer black sesame seeds, mustard oil, flowers, and fruits to Shani Dev while reciting his mantras and prayers.
6. Seek blessings: Humbly seek the blessings of Shani Dev and ask for the alleviation of any hardships or challenges you may be facing.
7. Complete the puja: Conclude the puja by seeking forgiveness for any mistakes or shortcomings and express gratitude to Shani Dev for his blessings.
5. What are the essential items required for Shani Dev puja?
The essential items required for Shani Dev puja are as follows:
1. Picture or idol of Shani Dev: You can use a framed picture or a small idol of Shani Dev for the puja.
2. Sesame oil: It is considered auspicious to light a lamp using sesame oil during the puja.
3. Mustard oil: Mustard oil is often used as an offering to Shani Dev.
4. Black sesame seeds: These seeds are commonly offered to please Shani Dev.
5. Black cloth: Spread a clean black cloth as a base for the puja setup.
6. Flowers: Offer fresh flowers to Shani Dev as a symbol of devotion and purity.
7. Incense sticks: Light incense sticks to create a fragrant atmosphere during the puja.
8. Lamps: Light lamps or diyas using sesame oil to invoke positive energy.
9. Fruits: Offer fresh fruits as a form of gratitude and to seek blessings from Shani Dev.
6. What mantras should be chanted during Shani Dev puja?
Reciting specific mantras during Shani Dev puja can enhance the spiritual connection and invoke positive energy. One powerful mantra associated with Shani Dev is the Shani Maha Mantra:
“ॐ शं शनैश्चराय नमः” (Om Sham Shanicharaya Namah)
Chanting this mantra with devotion can please Shani Dev and help mitigate the malefic effects caused by the planet Saturn.
7. Can fasting be observed during Shani Dev puja?
Yes, observing a fast is often considered a significant aspect of Shani Dev puja. Devotees usually observe a fast from sunrise to sunset on Saturdays as a mark of devotion and gratitude towards Shani Dev. It is believed that fasting on this day can bring blessings, dispel negative influences, and purify one’s mind and body.